Monday, September 15, 2008

Ride Along

On Saturday I got to ride along for a few hours while Matt was working. For those of you who don't know, Matt works for Hadco driving a dump truck and pup. I always knew he had a hard job, but I got a new perspective riding along with him.
His truck and pup can hold 32 whopping tons worth of material! Now that explains why trucks always move so slowly!! And not only does the truck weigh a ton (figuratively, not literally) but he then have to maneuver sharp corners through the uneven dirt job sites avoiding all of the little wood markers. I didn't think it was a big deal if he hit one, but apparently if one wooden marker gets bumped or ran over they have to bring a few expensive pieces of machines out to redo the whole job site! Talk about performing under pressure!! And probably the hardest part of the job is just driving on city streets with all of the CRAZY Utah drivers!!
I'm glad I got to see my man in action and get at least a small idea of what his work day is like. He's such a hard worker!!
Matt's old truck with Phoenix Construction. He's with Hadco now, but his truck is pretty much
the same so I thought it would work to illustrate how big it is.

3 comments:

Susan said...

That's cool you got to spend some time at his work! I've always wanted to spend a day with Ben at the hospital to see really what he does there. I'm sure I would be totally clueless what he was doing and not understand any of the medical words. I'd probably feel like a dumbhead. :)

Jenn said...

wow... nice face he's pulling in that picture

Anonymous said...

Good eyes, to see the look on his face. I didn't even see Matt in the picture at first, I was so busy looking at the HUGE truck and "pup".

I wonder how many things I would hit with that thing before I got it out of the parking lot. (seriously--I have a tough time with a sedan!)

The picture shows what a VERY hard job it is, especially negotiating around a bunch of crazy drivers with no respect for how hard it is --once those get going, especially loaded--how hard it is to slow down, turn or stop