Thursday, October 23, 2008

Car Drama

On Saturday the 18th Matt got into a car accident on his way to work. The other car involved careened into the side of his car when the tire basically fell off and made the car lose control. Luckily he was at a stop light and the other car was attempting to slow down, so both were able to walk away from the accident. We were told that everything would be taken care of by her insurance, but that the claims adjuster would have to come from Denver and would look at the car either Monday or Tuesday.
Sunday night we tried to get a rental car, but most places were closed, so we set it up to pick one up on Monday. So we both made it to work on Monday with just one car between us. Later that evening I picked up the rental car. I was the one who had to rent it because I had a credit card and Matt doesn't. Well since I only have liability insurance on my own car, I had to get insurance for $18 a day from Enterprise. I'm sure when Matt saw the rental car, he was glad it was for me to drive.
While I drove the Bug, Matt drove my car. The Beetle was fun to drive, but ultimately not worth the cost of the rental plus insurance. So Tuesday came and went, but still no word from the insurance company or claims adjuster.
On Wednesday we decided to return the rental car because we were worried about being reimbursed by the insurance company since we hadn't heard from them yet. We decided we could suck it up for a few days and share a car so we could save some money. Later that evening Matt finally got a hold of the adjuster and found out that the lady that hit Matt was delinquent on her insurance payment, and therefore didn't have coverage!!!
Thankfully Matt has full coverage, so he's going to go through his insurance and only has to pay the deductible to get his car fixed. Geico has treated him much better than those flakes at American Family anyway! They offered a rental car, but we would have ran into the same problem as we did before, so he turned it down.
Thankfully I have the best parents in the world!! My parents had an extra car at their house, so we played musical cars with them so that we all could have a car. My dad is now driving my brothers car, while I drive my dad's car and Matt drives my car. We'll be finding out soon how long Matt's car will be in the shop, but just hope no other car drama happens in the mean time. Thanks for helping out M & D!!

3 comments:

erinmalia said...

wow. glad that everyone's okay, but sad for the accident. and what about these crappy people driving around without insurance?! i just don't understand it. good luck with all that.

Jenn said...

That sucks! Sorry that happened to you guys! Good luck with Matt's insurance. I hope things work out well there.

bandkworky said...

That really sucks. I'm glad no one got hurt. I hate playing musical cars.