Sunday, June 22, 2008

Our Night Out in Nature

As I said in my blog a few days ago, most nights Matt and I just stay in and watch t.v. and just hang out. So I was super excited when we both worked short days and went out on Saturday night. Matt had everything planned and kept it all a surprise for me.
Our first stop was our local Walmart store so that Matt could buy a digital camera he had his eye on. He said the camera would be a good idea for out activity, so I was starting to get very curious. It was somewhat obvious what we were going to do when we started driving up Big Cottonwood Canyon, but I didn't know the specifics.
We ended up going to Donut Falls to enjoy the hike. We had a great time, but unfortunately didn't make it all the way to the falls. It got to a point where you have to cross the river, and it would have been impossible to keep our feet dry. Since we didn't have any extra socks or shoes, and we could see the falls, we called it good and turned around.
The second part of our evening Matt had planned a weenie roast! We found a daytime picnic area on the way down the canyon and stopped in for a fun dinner. The picnic area was a little damp because of the runoff from the snow, but there's no problem with a little river running through our spot! Matt had everything planned out, he even had a special hot dog roaster. I'm usually not a fan of hot dogs (they were actually polskas, but it's all the same to me), but camping is one of the rare instances where I quite enjoy a hot dog. All in all it was a fun time and a blast to be out in nature!

2 comments:

erinmalia said...

looks awesome. i certainly do miss those canyons. DC just has nothing like it.

emily said...

agree with my sis. i love donut falls, too. we do it just about every trip out to utah - well at least when my folks were still living in sandy.