Monday, May 26, 2008

Road Trip--Salt Lake to St George

***This will be entry #1 in a series of blogs describing my road trip over Memorial Day weekend****

Since it was a holiday weekend I decided to take an extra day off of work and head down to St. George. Matt wasn't feeling up to spending so much time in the car so I decided to head down solo. My parents (and aunt and uncle) have a really nice place down there, and since no one else was using it, I decided to take advantage of it.
Here's me and the house on a previous trip

Before I left Matt and I checked out the belts and hoses, and also all of my tires on the "high rolla Corolla" . All four tires were a little low, so before jumping jumping on the interstate I filled all of them up (including the spare). After finally getting out of horrendous traffic through Utah County I finally started jamming out to some music and started enjoying the trip. That is until about 8:40 p.m. I was about 10 miles outside of Beaver and one of my tires blew out! Bummer! I pulled over immediately and not even a minute later another car pulled over and a nice older man helped me change the tire. Although I wonder, is it helping if I just watched and provided the jack? Oh well! So being over 100 miles away from my destination I realized my donut tire wouldn't get me there and I'd need to replace it in Beaver. But seeing how it was almost 9 pm I was starting to worry that nowhere would be open and I'd be stuck in Beaver overnight. As I exited the interstate and headed to my usual gas station I realized there was a garage in the back of the property...and the doors were still open! I drove my car up to the doors like a bat out of hell and jumped out of the car ready to beg for a new tire! The nice man informed me that they were about to close....but that they'd quickly help me! Hallelujah!! That is the good news. The bad news is that I'm pretty sure I got robbed on the price. Turns out I had to replace the other back tire too, otherwise I would've had another blow out soon. So at $139.95 per tire plus other fees it ended up costing $330!! This trip was already turning out to be expensive!!
Showing off one of the new tires

All in all, between traffic, potty breaks, and of course the whole tire fiasco the trip ended up taking about 7 1/2 hours! (About 2 1/2 + more hours than usual!) I was just so happy to finally be there and hoped the next few days would be less eventful!

2 comments:

Jenn said...

That is soo not fun! I'm glad you got it fixed though, and that you were alright!

Annie said...

I'm so glad there were people around to help you! Those tires have been through a lot. I remember causing some damage when we slammed into the curb while doing donuts at the stadium. Fun, but awful.