Friday, July 18, 2008

Since when did I become a movie critic?

While millions and millions of people are going to be flocking to theatres to see"The Black Night" movie, I joined the other millions of people (largely women and men dragging their feet) and saw "Mama Mia". I was skeptical about this movie for a couple of reasons.
First, I'm always skeptical when they turn a t.v. show into a movie, or in this case, a Broadway play into a movie, it just never seems to translate as well.
Secondly, I had downloaded some of the tracks off the soundtrack and at first I was very disappointed. Since I've had the Broadway Mama Mia soundtrack on my Ipod for the last year my expectations were high and weren't met.
All this being said, I loved the movie! All my skepticism went right out the window! Some could argue the movie is a better medium to see Mama Mia because you don't have to have front row seats to see what is going on and to get the facial cues and body language that you miss sitting in the nosebleed section of Capital Theatre. I think one reviewer put it best when he said that since it's on the big screen they had to get people who were actors first, and singers second...but you hardly notice or care because it's so darned entertaining. And after seeing the movie I already like the soundtrack more because now I know the story and emotion behind the song.
All the actors really held their own with the singing...except for Pierce Brosnan. I like him as an actor, but I found myself laughing every time he started to sing. In my own humble opinion it wasn't very good, and he had odd facial expressions as he sang. But hey, he's 007 and is pretty dang sexy for a man his age, so I don't think he has anything to worry about!
If I were a real critic I would give this movie 3 1/2 stars, but mostly because I'm a sucker for chick flicks and musicals! But I really do recommend it, but you might want to leave the boyfriend or husband at home, unless of course he's in the dog house and you want him to suffer!!

2 comments:

Susan said...

I'm glad to hear this is a good one! We're having a girls night out with friends next week to go see it (so my hubby won't have to suffer... lucky him)... now I'm really excited! :)

Anonymous said...

Dad & I are going to see it in about an hour & I can't wait! I heard that about Pierce Brosnan, too--that he wasn't a very good singer. From the clips I've heard, Meryl Streep sounds like a pretty good vocalist. (Obviously, she can act!)

Anyway, we'll let you know what we think. Like you, I feel like I know every song almost by heart, so I hope we like it, too!