Sunday, August 3, 2008

Teaching An Old Dog a New Trick

Have you ever tried to re-train yourself to do something differently than you have done it for the last 8+ years? It's kind of frustrating! I just got a new cell phone on Saturday and got one with a "Qwerty" keyboard. I didn't know this until I saw it, but a qwerty keyboard is just like the keyboard you use with your computer, but it's on a smaller scale on your cell phone. Whats the big deal you ask?
I'm a pretty big fan of texting and am used to the regular 9 key pad on a cell phone where there is 3-4 letters per key, and they are in alphabetical order. So it's quite an adjustment to have a totally different keypad. You might think that since I'm on a computer typing all day long that it would make texting easier...and you would be wrong!!!
I'm willing to bet in 3-4 days I will be loving life with my qwerty keyboard, but for right now it is just frustrating to readjust. Each key on my keypad has two letters on it, rather than just one per key like a computer keyboard, and this has been causing me all sorts of problems. It now takes me about 10 minutes to compose a simple text message so I feel about as uncoordinated as my mother trying to text! (sorry mom!)
So to those of you who I do text, please be kind and forgive me for taking a long time to respond and forgive me if I send you a totally jumbled message. We'll see if this old dog can't learn this new trick!!

1 comment:

Becca Wecca2 said...

I think I will skip the keyboard phone, and go right to the one where it will automatically text what I am thinking in my mind.