Sunday, June 28, 2009

A Night of Hearing Loss

On Saturday Matt and I ventured out to Rocky Mtn Raceways for the IHRA National Championiship. There were all sorts of racers from low-end dragsters to a jet engine semi.
This is one of the "regular" dragsters, which traveled the quarter of a mile drag in around 8 seconds.
We were all smiles until the the big boys came out! The alcohol fueled dragsters were INSANELY loud! We had ear plugs in, and our ears still rang as those guys raced past! Unfortuanately between the camera being low on batteries and the fact that they went from 0 to 60 in approximately 0.7 seconds...we didn't get a picture of those dragsters!

Here is a pic of a dragster and a "funny car". A good funny car will finish the quarter mile in 10 seconds or less! (Remember, on the Fast and the Furious...he was promised a 10 second car!

Matt getting a closer view of the races!

One of the highlights of the evening was the jet engine semi! This puppy went over 250 mph, and that was probably not even maxed out (it was late, and there was a sound ordinance in effect so it probably didn't do its full potential!) It was amazing the amount of flames this thing put off and the heat it radiated!

This was one of the fire trucks on hand, but I'm not sure how effective it would have been. Jelly Belly is known for delicious jelly beans, but not it's fire extinguishing skills! But the good news for me is that I caught some jelly belly candys thrown into the crowd after all was said and done. Yum!
Overall it was an awesome evening! We can't wait till it comes back next year. And hopefully our eardrums would have healed by then!

2 comments:

Mom said...

Good pictures & I'm glad you had fun, but now I'm worried about your hearing! (Typical "mom" reaction, I suppose.)

So if you go next year, I'll get you better ear plugs :-))!!

Diana and Family said...

That would be totally fun to see! Ya not a fan when I can't hear but I could deal for a night I guess! I love your hair by the way!